Monday, March 18, 2013

I am nearing the one year mark of Isaiah's stillbirth (April 14th).  As I get closer to this day-- I feel like I'm grieving hard again. 
I have always loved spring, but now, everything about this time of year brings sadness and painful memories of last year.  On Saturday, I was driving to a nearby town--the town that I delivered Isaiah in.  It was a beautiful spring morning, just like the day Isaiah was born.  It was Saturday, the same day of the week that he was born.  I was driving my husband's car, just like we did the day Isaiah was born.  Needless to say, all these similarities caused the memories to flood back, and then the memories overwhelmed my heart.  I tried to call my mom to distract myself but she was busy and had to go (I didnt tell I was struggling).  I decided I just needed to walk through it.  After awhile, I thought to myself-- I shouldn't dwell so much on the moments surrounding Isaiahs death.  I survived that-- I dont need to relive it again and again.  Instead, I need to dwell on the future-- on eternity.  He is alive in Heaven and I will have all of eternity to get to know him!  Thinking about that helped.  At  least for a little bit (this grief never goes away for long).
I wanted to ask you guys-- how do you "do" the yearly "birth" day of your precious little ones?  Are there any certain things that you do on that day?  How do you include siblings in the remembering?  I'm trying to plan and just feel at a loss. 

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that the 2 weeks in August leading up to Eva's heaven day were supremely hard. The weather, the emotions. All of it. And we didn't cremate her until the 27th so in a way the entire month of August is taken up with intense grieving. Our story is different from yours in that her birth day was Oct 15th and she didn't die until Aug 15th. I find her birthday hard too but not so much as her death day. We had an angel food cake on her birthday (twice now). We celebrate her birthday with gifts to our other kids. We remembered her heaven day with a bbq with friends and planting a tree. It's important (in my opinion) to do something special on that special day. I hope you find peace as the day approaches and the weather brings you back to that time last year. I can honestly say that the pain has become less jagged in the second year.
    Much love,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Em! I love the idea of a bbq with friends and planting a tree--what a special way to honor your daughter!

      Delete