Monday, May 14, 2012

So here's my story:
I was so excited to be pregnant again.  A little nervous because my youngest had been born at 33weeks via emergency c-section due to a very low heart beat.  No one ever told me what had caused the very low heart beat.  They just said it would probably never happen again. 
This time around, I decided to buy a doppler for home use.  Just to make sure the baby's heart beat stayed ok.  And it did.  The pregnancy was very uneventful.  The baby was growing well.  I was trying for a VBAC and everything looked great.  The Monday before my due date, I had an ultrasound just to make sure baby wasnt breach.  He wasnt.  The ultrasound tech told me "If you werent trying for a VBAC, you'd probably be holding your baby right now."  Oh how those words now hurt and bring such guilt. On Thursday before my due date, baby didnt seem to be moving as much.  I checked his heart rate--142bpm--great.  On Thursday night, I checked again--just to be sure.  Still great.  On Friday, baby really was not moving much.  At 2:00, I checked his heart rate--low 140s again--still looking good.  Contractions were starting to pick up.  I was thinking that labor may be getting close.  Yea!  I'd never been in labor.  We didnt know the gender of the baby.  But we were ready.  The room was ready.  The children were ready.  Our families were ready.  Any moment now and we should be meeting our baby and beginning a lifetime of getting to know our precious one.  Well, by Friday night, baby was not moving.  I tried to find the heart rate before going to bed.  Couldnt find it.  I was worried. Got up and stayed up for awhile. Changed positions. Prayed.  Got on the the internet. Checked heart rate again---silence.  Went to bed and didnt sleep well.  In the morning, I got up, ate breakfast and had some coffee (that always woke baby up!).  Checked for heart rate--silence.  Called my mom and told her to be on standby, I was calling doc.  I called and nurse said go to hospital.  We did. 
Well, I cant write all the details of what happened next--still too painful.  A very horrific nightmare.  Baby had died.
At 4:17ish, Isaiah was born via c-section.
You never imagine that you will have to hold your dead child.  Those things dont really happen, do they?
They do...and they are worse than you can imagine.
In the midst of such horrific pain, though, there was a glimmer of light, a calm, a certain peace. 
God was there.
He held me through the arms of my husband and my mom.  He spoke to me of Eternity and of His good plans through the words of my Dad.  He showed me that He was weeping with me through the many tears of friends.   
Dont get me wrong....at some points I felt very angry towards God...how could He?!  How could He?!
But mostly I felt, I knew, I believed that He was there with me.  He really was in control.  Isaiah really was with him. 
Again...I dont want to appear like some super spiritual person...I'm not.  I've had to wrestle.  What is true? Is heaven really real?  Is God really real? If He is real, is He good?   Hard stuff. 

What about you--what's your story?  Please share.   

No comments:

Post a Comment