Friday, May 24, 2013

Uncomfortable Conversations

Ever since Isaiah died, a part of me dreads social situations with other moms (i.e. play dates, lunch group, birthday parties, and my *favorite*... baby showers).  One reason I dread these is because of the difficult I'm-not-saying-a-thing-but-I'm-thinking-and-feeling-lots conversations that I will inevitably find myself a part of.  Here are some examples:

Today, we had lunch group.  One of the moms is due tomorrow (When I was pregnant with Isaiah, I was also due on a Saturday; I very clearly remember what I did on that Friday before my due date--cue onslaught of sad memories and painful flashbacks); anyways, this mom told us that the doctor offered to induce her today and she told him no.  I almost had a panic attack on her behalf. I wanted to tell her-- hurry, hurry, get that baby out quick while it is still alive!
(Now, I know in my head that inductions are not always the best route-- but after losing Isaiah, my emotions often just speak louder than my head). 
Did I say anything to her? Nope. 

Last night, we had some friends over.  One of the girls is due in about 3 weeks.  She told me that she was telling a nurse (who knows my story), that she has not bonded with this baby as much as she bonded with her other two.  Why?
Because of me.
Because of me, she now knows that a healthy uneventful pregnancy can end in tragedy. 
I wasn't sure how to respond to this?? Your welcome. I'm sorry. Don't worry-- it only happens rarely and I took one for the team. ???
(I am, though, very thankful when people are brave enough to talk about Isaiah. I would much much rather them talk about his life/death than not talk about it.  Even if what they say doesn't always warm my heart.)

Then there was the conversation about future children.  I was standing in a group of moms.  One mom asks the other-- do you think you'll have anymore kids? She answers and then asks the question back.
As they talk, my heart sinks; my mind says walk away; my feet stay planted. 
I don't want them to ask me about future kids.  I don't want them NOT to ask me about future kids.  Can we just talk about the weather????

These are just a few of the many conversations that I find myself trying to survive. 
Any conversations ya'll have had to survive lately?
 

3 comments:

  1. "How many kids do you have?" is always my 'favourite'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes- that is THE dreaded question. Hands down - its the worst.

      Delete
    2. and yet the simplicity and innocence of that question often finds me asking the same thing...

      Delete